Request an Absentee ballot Online
In Louisiana, you must have a reason to be eligible to vote by mail, unless you are a military or overseas voter. There are specific reasons listed below that qualify you to vote by mail. You can submit an application requesting a mail ballot through the Louisiana online system or you may print and mail an application directly to your registrar of voters.
Accepted Reasons for Absentee Voting
If one of the following criteria applies to you during the early voting period and on election day, or expect to be, you may apply through a General Application, and once accepted by the registrar of voters, vote by mail.
- Senior Citizen
- Temporarily Absent
- Residing in a nursing home, veterans’ home, or a hospital for an extended stay.
- Student, instructor, or professor located and living outside of your parish of registration or the spouse/dependent thereof
- Minister, priest Rabbi, or other members of the clergy assigned outside of your parish of registration, or a spouse/dependent thereof
- Moved more than 100 miles from the parish seat of your former residence after voter registration books closed (30 days prior to an election)
- Involuntary confinement
- Incarcerated, if you are not under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony
- Address confidentiality program
- Physical Disability or Homebound – may apply through the Disabled Application, and if not enrolled, enroll in the disability program. To view the requirements for proof of disability, visit the Secretary of State’s Vote by Mail page.
TO REQUEST AN ABSENTEE BALLOT ONLINE
Online Application: You may request an absentee by mail ballot by logging in to the Louisiana Voter Portal and following these steps:
- Click the “Search By Voter” button.
- Type in your First Name, Last Name and Zip Code or Birth Month and Year and then click the “Submit” button;
- Click the “Request Absentee Ballot” link found under the Quick Links heading; and
- Complete the requested information and submit.
Note: You must be logged in to the Voter Portal as the voter for whom the request is intended to electronically submit a request for an absentee ballot.
The Quick Links screen will look like the example below. The correct link is marked.