Annually, the United Way of Northwest Louisiana partners with the Community Foundation of North Louisiana for the annual competitive grant process to further promote positive changes in our community. By combining our efforts into one competitive grant process, the United Way has strengthened our strategic investments to our region, while reducing administrative costs.
The United Way awards grants of varying sizes based upon community needs and organizational capacity to impact those needs. We offer one competitive grant cycle annually and encourage any nonprofit within the ten parish region of Northwest Louisiana to apply. Funding decisions are made by a volunteer committee and the United Way Board of Directors.
Who is eligible to apply?
• Must be a 501(c)(3) organization
• Geographic Area: Caddo, Bossier, Desoto, Webster, Claiborne, Bienville, Sabine, Red River, Natchitoches, and Winn parishes
• Program Areas: Education, Financial Stability/Economic Development, Health, and Basic Needs
• Organizations with annual revenue in excess of $250,000 must submit an audit conducted by an independent CPA in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards
• Types of Requests: program funding only; no capital projects
How do I apply?
• All applicants are required to attend at least one mandatory Grant Application Orientation Session prior to submitting a Letter of Intent (LOI). Reservations are required and space is limited. All sessions will be held at Community Central, 401 Edwards Street, Suite 125, Shreveport, LA 71101.
Grant Information Session Dates:
Wednesday, July 25th at 1pm
Thursday, July 26th at 1pm
Wednesday, July 31st at 10am
Thursday, August 1st at 10am
Friday, August 2nd at 10am
Stage 1/Letter of Intent (LOI) Application Process:
The United Way of Northwest Louisiana utilizes the Community Foundation’s online grant portal. The online grant portal will begin accepting Stage 1/Letters of Intent (LOI) applications on August 1, 2018, at 8am. The deadline to submit your organization’s LOI will be 4pm on August 21, 2018.
On October 12th, 2018, the Community Foundation of North Louisiana will notify LOI Applicants if they are invited by the Community Foundation, United Way, or both to submit a full grant application.
Full Grant Application:
The online grant portal will begin accepting applications on October 15, 2018, at 8am. The deadline to submit your organization’s full grant application will be 4pm on November 15, 2018.
Click here to access the Online Grant Portal System
Staff and Board of Directors Review:
The United Way of Northwest Louisiana staff and Board of Directors review every LOI and application submitted thoroughly. You may be contacted if a site visit, meeting, or phone conference is needed to discuss the program/project proposed in more detail. The Board of Directors makes all final recommendations of grant funding decisions and amounts.
Applicants will receive an email notification of the United Way’s Board funding decisions in May 2019. Grant awards will be announced to the public on approximately June 1st, 2019. Applicants who receive a grant award must sign a grant contract and are expected to adhere to the stipulated terms.
For the 2018-19 grant cycle, funds will be available after June 1, 2019, depending on the project start date. Funds are typically disbursed two to four weeks prior to the project start date.
Revisions or Change of Scope:
It is the applicant’s duty to advise the United Way of Northwest Louisiana should circumstances arise which would change or affect any aspect of the grant proposal.
Final Reporting Requirement:
All grantees are required to submit a final evaluation report 30 days after the project end date.
Click here to access the Final Evaluation Form