United Way has announced their third and final round of grant recipients Wednesday for the 2017- 2018 funding year. The announcement at the NSU Recreational Complex in Natchitoches showed company and nonprofit representatives their contributions at work. Five area nonprofits received funding across Natchitoches, Winn and Sabine Parishes in the amount of $57,500. The funds will be used for local programs in the areas of education, financial stability, health and essential needs.
The following five agencies will receive funding:
• Natchitoches Parish Council on Aging, Senior Fitness Center – $12,500
• Natchitoches Community Alliance Foundation, STEM educational summer camps and Saturday workshops, $5,000
• Project Celebration, Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services – $10,000
• Sabine Council on Aging – $10,000
• The Food Bank of Central Louisiana, Backpack Program and Kids Cafe – $20,000
Other nonprofit agencies that serve Natchitoches, Sabine and Winn Parishes and also received funding include:
• American Red Cross
• Biomedical Research Foundation
• Catholic Charities of North Louisiana
• Gingerbread House Children’s Advocacy Center
• Girl Scouts – Pines to the Gulf
• Louisiana Association on Compulsive Gambling
• Northwest Louisiana Family Justice Center
• Northwest Louisiana Interfaith Pharmacy
• Norwela Council, Boy Scouts of America
United Way of Northwest Louisiana will award a total of $1.1M to 77 nonprofit programs. This amount is spread across their ten parish service area. The first grant announcement of 2017 presented checks to nonprofit programs serving the greater Shreveport-Bossier City area on Thursday, June 1. The following Friday, $76,242 was granted to nonprofits with home offices in Webster, Bienville and Claiborne Parishes.
In 2016, more than 15,000 individual donors in more than 800 companies and organizations participated in a United Way workplace campaign. It is the fruit of these labors that United Way NWLA is able to award grant allocations.