The Northwest Louisiana Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites are now open and can help individuals earning less than $54,000 file their federal and state taxes for FREE.
Who can get Free Tax Preparation and the Earned Income Credit?
- Taxpayers with an AGI of $54,000 or less can get Free Tax Preparation.
- Families meeting additional requirements are eligible for a credit of up to $6,269.
Volunteers are not trained to do business taxes, itemized taxes or capital gains and losses. If you have any of these you should see a paid preparer.
The following items are needed to prepare your tax return:
- Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for all members in your family
- All W-2 Forms, 1099s, 1098s, and other forms
- 1095-A if you received a tax credit from the healthcare.gov marketplace
- Childcare provider name, address and Tax ID, if applicable
- Driver’s License or Photo I.D.
- If filing jointly, your spouse must be present Copy of prior year tax return (if applicable)
- Account Numbers for electronic deposit of refund and Routing Number
- Last year’s tax return, if you have it
- A valid email address
In 2016, did you…
- Received unemployment compensation, bring your Form 1099-G.
- Received retirement income, bring your Form 1099-R.
- Paid tuition, bring Form 1098-T for individual(s) enrolled in eligible educational institution.
- Paid student loan interest, bring the total of the student loan interest you paid.
Did you know you can file a FREE federal and up to three state returns if your income in 2016 was $64,000 or less? www.MyFreeTaxes.com can help you do just that.
Log on today to complete your return or for more information.
Have QUESTIONS while you are preparing your return? Certified tax coaches can help:
- By Phone: 855-698-9435
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assistors will answer questions Monday-Saturday 9 AM – 9 PM CST
- Questions are answered in the order that they are received
- Responses are provided within 24 hours (except on weekends; more complex questions may require additional research.