You work hard to earn your money all year long. So why not keep it? United Way of Northwest Louisiana offers valuable, free tax preparation and resources for you to keep, invest, and save your money.
VITA: Get Your Taxes Done at a VITA Site
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program provides FREE income tax preparation for individuals making $54,000 or less. Tax returns, both state and federal, are prepared by IRS certified volunteers at locations throughout the ten parishes of Northwest Louisiana. VITA helps working families take advantage of all of the tax credits they are eligible for including the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit (CTC), and education credits. VITA is sponsored in part by:
Find a site near you!
What You Need To Complete Your Taxes Checklist.
Download the VITA Site Locations Poster for your Office Bulletin Board.
Who can benefit from VITA?
Individuals and families who earn up to $54,000 annually may be eligible to receive free tax preparation services.
When to expect a refund?
All VITA tax returns are prepared and submitted to the IRS electronically by VITA volunteers. If you will be receiving a refund, you can anticipate receiving a check in seven to ten days business days.
When can I visit a VITA site?
VITA Season: All VITA sites are open to serve our community by February 1 each year and continue through early April.
Who to contact for additional information?
Please call the Rashida Dawson at 318-677-2504, Ext. 135 for more information on VITA services, locations, and hours
File Your Taxes Online Yourself for Free
MyFreeTaxes.com is a convenient online platform that you can use to complete both your federal and state taxes yourself for FREE for individuals making $64,000 or less. MyFreeTaxes.com is powered by:
Start Your Return
To start your return, log onto www.myfreetaxes.com.
Contact a certified tax advisor for assistance Monday-Saturday 9am to 9pm:
- Call 855-698-9435
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advisors will be answering questions from Monday-Saturday 9am – 9pm
- Questions are answered in the order that they are received
- Responses are provided within 24 hours (except on weekends; more complex questions may require additional research.
Save Your Refund
Want a Chance to Win $25,000
or One of 100 Prizes?
SaveYourRefund is a partnership between Commonwealth and America Saves that provides exciting incentives for individuals to save during the tax season.
How Does It Work?
Whether you have your taxes done or you choose to file them yourself, simply:
- Complete a Form 8888.
- Save at least $50 of your tax refund in a savings account, CD, IRA, prepaid card, savings bond or Treasury account.
- Enter to win at www.saveyourrefund.com.
Winners are announced weekly.
What do I need to bring to a VITA site or to File My Taxes online?
The following items are needed to prepare your tax return:
- Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for all members in your family
- All W-2 Forms, 1099s, 1098s, and other forms
- 1095-A if you received a tax credit from the healthcare.gov marketplace
- Childcare provider name, address and Tax ID, if applicable
- Driver’s License or Photo I.D.
- If filing jointly, your spouse must be present Copy of prior year tax return (if applicable)
- Account Numbers for electronic deposit of refund
- Last year’s tax return, if you have it
- A valid email address
Additional Items May Be Needed. Please read each statement below and bring additional documents as required:
- If you received unemployment compensation, bring your Form 1099-G
- If you received retirement income, bring your 1099-R
- If you paid tuition, bring Form 1098-T for individual(s) enrolled in eligible educational institution
- If you paid student loan interest, bring the total of the student loan interest you paid